Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Moehringer to Hall

First a word on reading habits: I think it is a waste of time to slog through mediocre and bad books, and life is too short to finish every one of these books a person might start reading. That being said, I probably tend to finish too few of the books I pick up, not because they are bad but because I lose interest. If the ending is obvious, I will usually move on or skip to the end to make sure I am right.

*SPOILER ALERT FOR THE TENDER BAR IN THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH*

Because of this flaw in my reading style, I have abandoned The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer. He just got into Yale and found his father. Honestly, I have enjoyed reading this book. It was correctly praised as a masterful memoir. I am especially impressed with Moehringer's ability to identify themes and articulate the motivations of his child self. Few of us can look back on our childhoods with that much clarity. However, the two moments that he built up throughout the book have finally come to pass. I am sorry to report that I've needlessly abandoned this book and there are still quite a few pages to go. Someone probably dies before the end, but JR makes it to the big time (based on his short bio on the back cover) and that's good enough for me. Speculating who might die or what the fate of Publicans will be is more fun right now than finishing the book. If someone out there thinks I really need to finish the book, let me know. Otherwise, I am officially moving on.

The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall is quite a remarkable book, even just a few pages into it. There is actually a shark made out of words in the book. You have to see it. This book also comes with quite a bit of Internet extras, including an extensive Wikipedia page, a soundtrack, videos, and fan sites. It's kind of like Lost that way. I am going to refrain from exploring these extras until I am done reading the book (I anticipate making it to the end of this one), but you can expect a more detailed report on the full experience in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Donald said...

You should read up to at least pages 251-252. That's where my cameo pops up.

Don the Lawyer, who started putting money in the urinal as a sociological experiment to see how rich it got before people started making withdrawals.