Thursday, May 29, 2008

BEA Pre-Show Update

Hoardes of pale, fast-walking New York publishes have descended on Los Angeles for BookExpo America, myself among them. My colleagues and I spent a leisurely few hours on the rooftop of the Standard Hotel yesterday, which is quite impressive: sleek pool, waterbed pods, heat lamps, and a bar. It was the cool pre-BEA place to be last night, and the BEA people were easy to spot. We stand out in a crowd of tanned Californians (sorry, but it's true).

We then moved on to the Water Grill, a highly recommended seafood restaurant. The margaritas were as good as the sea bass and soft shell crab.

Set up today is almost over at most of the booths. I haven't had a chance to wander around much, but our booth (German Collective Stand, 2825) is right next to the Amazon Kindle booth. I haven't seen any actual Kindles yet, but I'm sure a small fleet of these devices will be out and ready for you to play with in the morning. The LA convention center is better than the one in New York. The air conditioning works and there are enough women's bathrooms so that we don't have to wait in line for twenty minutes.

Reading the World is having a reception tonight, and I expect a good time there as always. After that, the party-hopping shall commence (or I will not be able to find any other parties and will go watch cable TV in my hotel room).

See you all tomorrow on the show floor! Come by our booth at 4 pm when Kevin Vennemann signs copies of his debut novel, Close to Jedenew. He's really good looking, if that is any incentive!

4 comments:

kjd said...

You have strange taste in men, HJ.

But maybe we should run a vote on the best-looking man in German literature?

My money's on... now that would be telling!

Anonymous said...

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://gouting.ru/in.cgi?16][img]http://i068.radikal.ru/0911/20/b4c4f08b06c6.jpg[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

[URL=http://autoruni.freehostia.com/]welcome auto insurances...[/URL]