Sunday, June 1, 2008

BEA Day 2

Celebrity sightings: Alec Baldwin and Dr. Ruth. What is frustrating is that there are billions more at BEA, and I only saw two. However, these two were quality sightings, so I'm not too upset that I missed Prince, Magic Johnson, Barbara Walters, William Shatner, or Leonard Nemoy.

I lingered with my Frankfurt Book Fair colleagues at the booth until 5:30 because we just love book fairs so much that we don't want to go home. After that, I went to the Consortium party at the Hotel Figueroa (which was mercifully close to the convention center). They served some very delicious artichoke tartlets and tiny beef burritos, which complimented the good conversation. I met the owner and son from BookCourt, a bookstore in Cobble Hill. I will go and spend my money there sometime soon.

I had planned to go to the PGW party (and even begged an invitation from Soft Skull), but ended up going to dinner downtown. It was quite a nice evening, but the ultimate fighting on the TVs in the bar was distracting. Talking about books and ebooks becomes difficult when close-up shots of swollen faces and bleeding ears constantly pop up in your peripheral vision. After that, I went to the hotel, watched some Hogan's Heroes on TV, and went to bed.

No comments: